1. Getting the Elegance of the Hedgehog. He (see “Him”) gave it to me as a birthday/Christmas present when I dropped him off. I didn’t expect a birthday present from anyone, so it was sweet that he went out of his way to get it for me. I love reading, and this is one of his favorites, so he knew I’d like it. He was right.
2. Reading the Elegance of the Hedgehog all day. The best feeling came late in the evening while I was in my armchair in the corner of my old bedroom. Snow was falling heavily outside, and I was wrapped in a blanket wearing furry socks. I adore furry socks. A frosting-scented candle burned on my dresser. I felt nothing but lucky, warm, and perfectly content.
3. Crying in the basement with my boyfriend. We talked about our relationship and where we were headed in the future. I always avoided the subject because I didn’t want our diverging futures to be real, but they are. He wants a future with me, but we both admitted that it just isn’t realistic. Yet we’re still together because we love each other, and we want to enjoy the moments we have left before he finds a ridiculously awesome job and I have to let him move on with his grown-up life. I cried very hard, and probably said some mean things, but I feel happy that we set everything straight.
4. McDonalds day in Las Vegas. My dad was at work, and I had the hotel room to myself. I slept in, practiced yoga for a good half hour, and got ready for the day. It was atypically rainy and windy for Vegas, but I was starving, so I packed up Hedgehog in my purse and walked the ten minutes to McDonalds. I ate chicken nuggets and sipped coffee while reading. It was incredibly relaxing for how many people were around me. After I finished I walked ten more minutes to the Fashion Show Mall and found some great Christmas gifts (including a couple for myself). Despite the nasty weather, I enjoyed the walk and the alone time.
5. White-chocolate-dipped Oreos. Delicious.
6. Keeping all my Christmas candy in a giant Victoria’s Secret gift box. It makes me happy just looking at it.
7. Radioactive on my new stereo. I had just gotten my new car stereo installed and Radioactive by Imagine Dragons came on the radio as I pulled into my neighborhood. The bass and volume were clear up and sounded amazing, and I got goose bumps.
8. Nertz after second Christmas. We had Christmas late with my dad’s side of the family. After most of the family left, a few of my oldest cousins, my sister, and I played nertz for a couple of hours in the kitchen. I hadn’t laughed so hard in forever. I don’t see them nearly often enough.
9. Floor sex. Lying naked on a quilt on the floor, wrapped in my boyfriend’s warm arms, I felt like I was in a movie. So cliché, right? But that was the overwhelming feeling I had, and in a way it was strange because I didn’t feel completely…in myself. Yet I loved the moment all the same. We were in his parents’ basement (adding an extra hint of naughtiness), had just finished a movie, and slowly and deliciously made our way to the ground. I’ve had great sex before, but this time felt almost surreal, especially knowing I wouldn’t see him again for weeks.